Heading on a fly fishing trip and just not sure what to pack? Whether you are taking a road trip to a river or a plane to the Caribbean you don’t want to come short in your fly fishing supplies. Rod and reel are obvious but also vary with the location and type of fish you are going for.
There are endless options when it comes to fly rods, but before purchasing one remember to think about matching the line weight you are going to need.
It is best to research this before buying or choosing a rod to take along. Our family has recently picked up the hobby of fly fishing and heading on our first Fly Fishing Trip that we planned through Yellow Dog Fly Fishing Adventures. Thanks to some great sponsors we have collected these top 10 things not to leave home without on your next fly fishing trip.
Beginners Guide to What to Pack for Fly Fishing Trip
Top 10 Things not to leave home without on your next fly fishing trip.
UV Protection comes in many different forms. No matter if you are saltwater fly fishing or trout fishing in a stream, keeping yourself protected from harmful UV rays is a number one priority. There is nothing worse than getting sunburned and not wanting to fish for the next couple of days. Investing in quality technical clothing is a must for any outdoor adventure you have planned this summer
––UV Clothing— Not all clothes are created equal when you are out on the water. Be sure to buy fishing attire that has Sun Protection, Breathable and has moisture wicking properties to keep you comfortable all day. My kids really like the REEL Lifestyle brand and will be sporting the HUI Performance Long Sleeve Shirt and the Keeper Performance Hoodie, a fast drying long sleeve hoodie. If you are not wearing waders, then you might want to want these super comfortable REEL Lifestyle Original Boardshorts.
- UV arm sleeves BUFF® UV Arm Sleeves deliver light thermal protection and UPF 40+ sun protection on the water or on the go in exposed terrain.
- FISHING Gloves: BUFF® fishing gloves are a must for a vacation filled with hours on the water. They enhance dexterity and grip, and also protects hands from sun, surf and other hazards so you can stay out on the water longer.
- UV HeadGear: BUFF® UV Multifunctional Headwear keeps the sun fun while blocking 95% of harmful UV rays*. Hour after hour, COOLMAX® PRO fabric wicks away sweat to keep you cool and Polygiene® Active Odor Control neutralizes odor.
- HATS: Classic trucker style hats from BUFF® are perfect for on – and off – the water. Breathable 100% polyester front panel is quick drying, wicks moisture, and protects against glare
— -SUNSCREEN from Olen Cosmetics’ Sun Blocz is an all-natural sunscreen is just what you need to stay protected. Plus, it’water resistant, hypoallergenic, doesn’t sting eyes and repels bugs! It also has No Parabens, No Phthalates, is Reef Safe and provides 50+SPF, UVA+UVB Broad Spectrum, Very Water Resistant for 80 minutes
—-SUNGLASSES (polarized helps see into water) Be sure you have eyewear retainers so you don’t lose your glasses. Wingo Belts SunStrap 3-Pack includes multiple fish skin eyewear retainers to keep your glasses secure. Available in saltwater and freshwater fish themed packs. They are truly lightweight, comfortable, quick-drying and any fisherman will love the designs.
FLY FISHING ACCESSORIES for Fly Fishing Adventure
- Pliers for hook removal
- Line snipper/clippers
- Your “go to” fly box. Small enough to fit on your persons so you can quickly change flies on the water
- Extra spool of leader line
- A good tackle bag or backpack to lug gear in and out
- Fly floatant and/or sinkent
- Accessories If Wearing Waders (wading belt for safety)
Snacks/ Water Bottles, Protein Bars
- Insulated water bottle
- A cooler of Snacks and Beverages Be sure to know how to best pack your cooler for Drinks.
If your dog is lucky enough to join you, be sure to grab a fun fishing themed dog collar and/or leash from Wingo Belts. All Wingo products are made from the most water and odor resistant polyester available. Smelly collars and wading belts are a thing of the past. Chloe will be thrilled to take a swim as her people try to land a trout this summer.