Camping is a fun and rewarding experience for people of all ages, and it’s made that much better when good food is around. Without the luxuries of home cooking, creating tasty meals might seem like a long shot but the truth is that some incredible eats can be had at the campsite!
Here are the recipes for 5 of the best camping foods of all time
How to Make Pizza on Campout
This might seem impossible but fire grilled pizza will give you an entirely new respect for the taste of gourmet food.
What you need to make pizza on a campout
The recipe is simple:
- 1 grill (gas and charcoal both work)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 packet fast acting yeast
- 1 cup of water
- 1 Tsp salt
- 1 jar all natural pizza sauce
- 1 bag low fat mozzarella cheese
- Preferred pizza toppings. (Suggestions: olives, jalepenos, chicken, mushrooms)
1. Simply mix the flour, yeast, olive oil and salt together until well blended. Add water until the flour is kneadable and let stand for about 10 minutes. Take the dough and using your hands spread it out to make a surface for toppings in any size and shape you want.
2. The smaller the pizza the thicker the crust.
3. Once the dough is formed, just put it on the grill for about 3 minutes each side (if you’re worried about it sticking, use foil or bring a sheet pan along to use).
4. Take the dough off the grill and add the sauce, cheese and toppings. Put the pizza back on the grill until the toppings are melted and the crust is no longer soft to the touch.
Can I make Pizza Ahead of Time for a Camping?
You can always buy frozen pizza dough or make it at home and freeze it. Allow it to defrost for several hours and proceed with the recipe.
Really delicious and really simple to make is this popcorn, topped with real cheddar cheese! This fresh take on traditional popcorn will have your mouth drooling all night.
Here is what you’ll need to make Popcorn at a Campsite
- 1 bag of popcorn
- 1 small pot with a top 1 propane stove
- 1 ounce of shredded cheddar (preferably sharp)
All you have to do is make the popcorn and then top it with cheddar.
Camp Food Idea: Recipe for Fish Popcorn
This treat will be a hit around the campfire- it’s easy to make and creates an entertaining time for the whole family.
What to Have at a Campout to make Fish Popcorn
- 1 raging campfire
- a few barked sticks or some coat hangers used to roast over a fire
- 2-4 boned fish fillets (some type of tuna works best)
- 1 box corn flakes
- salt, pepper or other spices to taste
Even if you don’t use any spices at all this is a great recipe, but the more spices you use the tastier the fish popcorn will be.
HOW TO MAKE FISH POPCORN
- Simply cut up the fish into bite size pieces and crumble the corn flakes along with any spices you have into a bowl.
- Let everyone dip their own fish into the bowl of flakes and roast it over the fire- delish!
Twice Baked Potatoes Those who love potatoes will love this favorite while Camping
Made in the grill, they take a bit longer than they would at home but the wait is well worth it.
What you need to make twice baked potatoes while Camping
- 1 grill, gas or charcoal
- 2-4 medium size potatoes
- 1/2 stick of butter
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Wash the potatoes and place them directly on the grill rack over the heat source for about 15 minutes on each side, then move them to the sides of the grill for another 20 minutes so they still cook but don’t get burned (you should have some nice color on each side of the potatoes by now, but not any burning).
2. Take the potatoes out and cut them in half, scooping the insides into a bowl. Mix the potatoes with butter, salt, pepper and even sour cream or other extras if you have it then put the mixture into the potato skins you’ve put aside. Place them around the edges of the grill again and let them cook for another 30 minutes or so. These go great with hamburgers or chicken!
Camp Food Ideas Favorite: Chicken Marsala Recipe
This take on the traditional version leaves nothing behind and will keep smiles on everyone’s face. It’s easy to put together and all you need is:
- a grill
- 2-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (preferably, but any chicken will work)
- 2 tomatoes
- some seasoning spices
- Put 1 cup rice and 2 cups water into a metal pot and place on the grill to cook.
- In a bowl mix up some chopped tomatoes and spices (you can bring allspice type of seasonings which come in small bottles and are easy to take on camping trips) in a bowl.
- Put each chicken piece in some foil, enough to loosely wrap around the chicken.
- Place some tomato mixture on each piece of chicken, then lightly wrap the chicken with the foil it is sitting on.
- Grill the foil packets of chicken until done, about 40 minutes. Serve with rice!